Friday, March 21, 2014

The Cooking Cure: Day 12-15 ...sigh...

Are you shocked? I'm not shocked. I think I'm starting to think about whether I really need to change all of my habits (well at least breakfast). Here we go, week three catch up! Maybe it was a bit much to assume I could blog every day of the week for a month...

Day 12: Ask Yourself 3 Questions About your Dinner Habits

Tuesday March 18th, 2014
Cooking Cure's task for Day 12 on TheKitckn.com

  1. What am I tired of eating? Pasta. I love pasta, but boxed pasta as often as I do have it is not a good idea. 
  2. What do I love eating? Like all my other answers: FRESH. And mexican. 
  3. What would I like to eat more often? From scratch homemade with more vegetables included. 

Did I rush through that? Felt like I did. I guess it's because I've answered it almost the same way twice already!

Day 13: Find 5 New Recipes for Dinner

Wednesday March 19th, 2014
Cooking Cure's task for Day 13 on TheKitckn.com

  1. Vietnamese-Style Summer Rolls from chow.com: I like the freshness of these ingredients and the veg to protein ratio. Plus, who can say no to a nice peanut sauce for dipping? 
  2. Quiche how to on thekitchn.com: So this isn't really a direct recipe so to speak but a basic how to. Now I've made quiche before, a few times, but what I want to do is the entire thing from scratch (save growing the damn veg myself). This means pie crust, my biggest fear in cooking. 
  3. Zesty Fish Curry with Coconut Milk from playfulcooking.com: This looks amazing and I love the idea of learning how to make a good curry recipe since I love indian so damn much. It doesn't look too complicated but I imagine it could get a little dicey working with chilies but I want to try it. 
  4. Korean Barbecue Pork Lettuce Wraps from userealbutter.com: I might not go pork, but the recipes this blogger goes through (with detailed instructions and pictures) inspires me to cook. This is one of those lovely recipe's. 
  5. Creamy Baked Orzo with Ham, Peas and Leeks from thekitchn.com: Yet another theKitchn.com recipe but I like the traditional feel of a dish like this. Something I could make, or would find my mother or grandmother making in their own kitchens. I see it as something I can learn to substitute with and make my own which is the best part of a good recipe. That and it has superior leftovers potential! 

Day 14: Stock Your Kitchen for One New Dinner

Thursday March 20th, 2014
Cooking Cure's task for Day 14 on TheKitckn.com

You know it's funny, I seem to be able to do these challenges when I'm not really thinking about doing the challenges. I'll blog about it later but I made a big ol' batch of bagels from scratch, something I wanted to do for my breakfasts (and in turn made some nice lunches) for this entire week.
Wednesday night, after looking at the cooking cure and talking to the fiance, I decided we were going to have the Vietnamese-Style Summer Rolls. So we had those for dinner Wednesday and again for dinner Thursday night.

So am I really doing the cure? I'm not following the method exactly, it's more 'Oh hey, we should have that' and I go out that day and get it. Perhaps I need to incorporate less about doing new recipes (that doesn't appear to be the problem) and concentrate on the planning of the meals a little bit more. So I'm not doing it all the night of?

Or maybe that's just not my style. Maybe spur of the moment cooking is how I'll develop my pallet, my routine and my repertoire of recipes. I like the sound of that. Repertoire of Recipes. Who knows! I'll do my best to keep up but I might just end up doing this my own way.

Day 15: Make Dinner Tonight & PLan Next Week's Breakfasts, Lunches  & Dinners

Friday March 21st, 2014
Cooking Cure's task for Day 15 on TheKitckn.com

Yeah, I'm probably not going to go all too crazy on the meal planning this weekend. I have a feeling that's more my Monday gig. But some ideas I'm running through my head:

  • Another batch of bagels or english muffins for breakfast
  • buy a juicer for breakfast infusion of vitamins
  • buy veggies for lunch time snacking and possible sandwich toppings. I'm liking shredding veggies with a peeling for a thin but still crisp snack at home. Could lead to some really cool lunches. 
  • Casserole on Monday night for leftovers through at least part of the week
  • Maybe tackle a quiche crust on wednesday if I'm feeling ambitious
So much of these things depend on more than just my availability in the week. How I feel physically, now that I've finally kicked the cold I don't want to wear myself down too much. Need for a break: hard weeks at work zap my energy for creativity in the kitchen. If something, like a new recipe or a new gadget (I might be getting a stand mixer or a juicer this weekend fingers crossed) might tip the scales in favour of one thing or another. 

I like to remain flexible. I'll make that my plan for the next week but ultimately I'm avoiding at least two or three things: 
  • No Subway sammy's
  • No cereal in the morning
  • No take-out

Yeah, I'll start with that. 

1 comment:

  1. My breakfast as of late is eggs and refried beans! sooo good. Im going to try making my own refried beans too so it is more healthiful!!

    Also, if you find yourself wiped of energy, you need to start pinning and trying some lazy, but healthy, recipes. Pita pizzas are my go-to on lazy days and they are actually pretty low cal when you add it up (i often eat em with a side of vegkibbles). I made one this week with procuitto on it and nearly had a heart attack from the deliciousness.

    ReplyDelete